Electrical Rewire Plymouth Devon by the team at Electrician Plymouth Sparky Ltd.
Rewire your home to ensure that your electrics are safe, future-proof, and compliant with current regulations.
Maintaining the condition of a property’s electrics is one of the most important responsibilities that come with being a homeowner or landlord. Faulty or unsafe electrics can cause life-threatening injury and pose a serious fire hazard, making it essential that you keep an eye on the age and condition of your electrics to ensure that you spot any potential problems before they become a danger.
Whilst paying for a full electrical rewire may not seem like the most exciting investment, it is one that has substantial benefits. A full rewire will not only keep you, your family and your property safe, it can also futureproof your home and increase your property’s value.
What does rewiring a house involve?
Your home’s electrical cables run under the flooring and through the walls, so rewiring will require flooring to be lifted and walls drilled into, making it a considerably messy and disruptive job.
If you’re renovating a house, a rewire should be completed at the same stage as any plumbing or work to the heating system, and certainly before any plastering or cosmetic work is undertaken.
During a full rewire your electrician will:
- Install new cabling.
- Fit new back boxes on sockets and switches.
- Rewire telephone and tv aerial sockets.
- Rewire power and lighting circuits.
- Add or move sockets, light fixtures, and switches if required.
- Add modern electrical technology if required, e.g. automated lighting and speaker cabling.
Rewires are generally completed in two stages:
First stage – cabling, wiring, circuits, and back boxes are all replaced.
The second stage – lighting fittings and faceplates on sockets and switches and are installed. All wiring is connected to the consumer unit to make everything live.
Benefits of rewiring
Although safety is the primary reason to rewire your home, there are also several functional benefits of updating your home’s electrical cables too.
Here are the top benefits of rewiring your home:
- Peace of mind that you have invested in a safer electrical system.
- Reduces the risk of an electrical fire.
- Ensures that your electrics are compliant with current regulations.
- Increases your home’s value.
- You can choose all the new fixtures and fittings.
- You can choose where new sockets and switches go.
- Make your home more energy-efficient.
- Install new ‘smart’ technology.