Your Guide to Part P Building Regulation



In 2013 the government announced some changes to Part P. The range of work notifiable to building control was reduced (For England only. In Wales some of the regulations still apply). Under the new, revised regulations, electrical work undertaken in kitchens such as adding a new socket or installing a new security light outdoors are no longer notifiable unless a new circuit is required.

Work that is notifiable to local building control

Below is an example of the type of work that is notifiable:

  • The installation of a new circuit
  • The replacement of a consumer unit or
  • Any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a ‘special location’

A ‘special location’ is considered to be a bathroom where there is a higher risk of water mixing with electrics, giving rise to an increased potential for an electric shock. When working in bathrooms certain restrictions must be adhered to so that switches, and other electrical equipment are installed at safe distances away from showers, baths and taps where the risk of mixing electricity and water is increased.

Work that is not notifiable to local building control

Below are examples of work that is not notifiable:

  • Additions and alterations to existing installations  outside special locations, and replacements, repairs and  maintenance anywhere
  • Installing a new cooker is not notifiable unless a new cooker circuit is needed
  • Connecting an electric gate or garage door to an existing isolator switch is not notifiable work but installing a new circuit from the consumer unit to the isolator is notifiable

Failure to adhere to Part P

If you cannot provide the right evidence that electrical work has been carried out in accordance with the building regulations then your local building control may insist that the work is re-done at your cost. Additionally, not having the appropriate certification may cause problems when it comes to selling your home.

It is a criminal offence to carry out work that does not comply with building regulations with a maximum fine of £5,000.

A straightforward way of meeting the requirements is to use an electrician who is registered with a competent person scheme such as NICEIC or ELECSA, NAPIT, STROMA. They can self-certify the work and notify the local building control department on your behalf. You will then receive an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) or Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate (MEIWC) from your contractor confirming the work has been carried out to the required standard along with a building regulation letter of compliance from the registered scheme body.

The power to make your home safer

My electrician has carried out some work but I have not received a building regulation letter of compliance. What should I do?

Remember, not all electrical work has to be notified to your local building control department (see the list of notifiable and non-notifiable list of work). If the work was notifiable and you have not received a compliance letter speak to the electrician’s registration body.

My electrician is not registered. Can they still sign off Part P work?

No. Only electricians registered with a government approved body are able to self-certify and notify the work on your behalf. As the property owner you are responsible for notifying the work to local building control who will then come out and inspect the work (at additional cost).

Does Part P exist in Scotland?

No. Only electricians carrying out work in England and Wales have to comply with Part P of the Building Regulations whereas in Scotland it is the Building Standards system. At the present time, Northern Ireland has no equivalent statutory requirement.

Where can I find a STROMA,  NICEIC, NAPIT or ELECSA Part P registered electrician?

You can search for a registered electrical contractor in your area by simply visiting or and typing in your postcode. We would recommend getting quotes from at least 3 different firms before agreeing to carry out any work.

Why use a STROMA, NICEIC, NAPIT or ELECSA registered contractor?

Choosing a Storma, Napit,  NICEIC or ELECSA registered contractor is a householder’s best way to ensure a safe job. Electricians registered with NICEIC and ELECSA are assessed on a regular basis to ensure high standards and their work is checked against the IET Wiring Regulations as well as other standards.

What happens if something goes wrong?

All STROMA, NAPIT, NICEIC and ELECSA registered businesses are covered by the Platinum Promise – a promise that protects you against all non- compliant installation work. Should any work carried out by one of our contractors be found not to comply with the Building Regulations or relevant installation standards, we can instruct the contractor to go back and carry out the work to the required standard.

If the contractor is no longer in business or disputes the matter we will have the work rectified by another registered contractor at no extra cost.

The Platinum Promise is valid for up to six years from the date of the completion of the original work and covers work up to a maximum of £25,000 for any one installation.

Download your official copy of Approved document P