Building Regulation Part P

Wanting to do electrical work in your domestic home / property well you need to make sure it complies with the New Building Regulation Part P
Amendments to the Building Regulations known as Part “P” came into effect on 1st January 2005.

If your looking for a qualified reliable Part P qualified domestic electrical than look no further than Plymouth Sparky. Our small team of expert electrician will be happy to give you a no obligation free quotation for your electrical projects.

Part P Electrician Plymouth Sparky can help.

All electrical installation work, with very few exceptions, carried out in Domestic Dwellings must now only be carried out by electricians registered on what is known as a Competent Persons Scheme (CPS), or must be notified to Building Control at the local council to obtain planning permission (fee payable), prior to work commencing.

The main areas of your home that this will affect are as follows:
Full Rewiring.
All electrical alterations and additions carried out in a KITCHEN.
All electrical alterations and additions carried out in a BATHROOM.
All electrical alterations and additions carried out in a GARDEN / OUTSIDE.
Installations of new circuits and partial rewiring.
Upgrading of old fuse boxes to Modern consumer units…etc…
It is now a Criminal Offence for a NON-REGISTERED person to carry out any of the above work with fines of up to £5,000.

Furthermore it may also affect the validity of your home insurance.

The main requirement of Part “P” is that an electrical installation will be carried out by a Qualified Electrician / Competent person who has been assessed and registered on a CPS.

The installers must then carry out ALL their work in accordance with the current requirements of BS 7671: as amended (formerly know as The IEE Wiring Regulations) and issue a certificate of compliance.

The main certificates will be an Electrical Installation Certificate, Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate and Minor Works Certificate.

Once this has been issued the certifying body with whom the installer is registered, in my case NAPIT, will issue a second certificate. This will be a Building Regulation Compliance Certificate (BRCC). A copy of the BRCC will be sent to Building Control and you (the Home Owner) will also be issued with a copy.

These certificates will be required in the future when properties change ownership and will show up when Solicitors carry out a search to prove the electrical installation complies with the national standard of safety (BS 7671: as amended).

This new requirement also affects DIY workmanship. It is no longer permitted for an unqualified person / unregistered electrician to carry out alterations or additions to electrical installations in the areas detailed above.

There are, at the time of writing, FIVE main bodies running Competent Person Schemes overseeing the compliance with the new requirements.